Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 26- Biggest riding pet peeve

Day 26- Biggest riding pet peeve

This is aneasy one.Riders who are stuck up and rude. Now I am not saying that we shouldall have to get along, but rolling your eyes, or talking down to me is reallynot appreciated. I like to ask questions about horses and when I get a bitchyrude response it makes me want to slap the person…but mostly makes me want tocry. I’m a pretty sensitive gal and take things really hard. I remember onceasking a girl about barrel racing one day and she got all high and mightysaying how hard it was and that a person like me probably wouldn’t even be goodat it since I was just starting to ride. All I wanted to know was if it was funand if she could give me some pointers.

I once tooka beginner horsemanship class when I was in college. It was a class that wasdescribe as a class for BEGINNERS to learn about horses and riding and all thatfun stuff. But that class seriously made me sink down into a deep darkdepression. I didn’t want to ride or be around horses after taking that class.It took me a few years before I even started to think about riding again. The professorwas some old cowboy who knew everything about horses. All the girls in my classhad been riding since they were in their mother’s womb. The horse I was assignedwas a naughty horse that had been kicked off a string of horses at a dude ranchbecause he was an ass. Prior to taking this class I had mostly ridden English.I’d never saddled up a western horse and I didn’t know much about westernriding. Which was why I took the class to learn as much as I could. Well Istruggled with the saddle, I always had a hard time remembering how to securethe cinch. So the instructor would make a big production about helping me out,and the girls in the class would giggle the whole time. You know if I saw aclassmate struggling I would go help her, but that is just me. Every class wewould get our horses and then tie them up in the arena and then have a quickmeeting in the tack room about the day’s lesson. I tied my horse up like theytaught me and when I returned, sure enough, my horse was wandering around thearena. I apparently had the horse that could undo quick release knots. Soobviously I got lectured and more giggle from the girls in my class. Almostevery ride I would get singled out by the professor and he’d basically say “whateverK.K is doing…do the opposite.” By the end of the semester I was so emotionallydrained and hated that class so much. I had to hold a classmates horse for herand I stood there near the horses head and it sneezed, all over me. and myprofessor yelled across the areana “Reason #345 why we don’t stand in front ofa horse”. Obviously everyone in class laughed their butts off. When I left Icried the whole way home. To be honest I don’t think I even went back and tookmy final exam. I was so crushed at how rude everyone was to me. It was then andthere that I decided if I ever got back into horses I would be as friendly andhelpful to everyone as I could be. And I do try hard to be helpful and nice tomy fellow riders. We can all use a little help now and then. It’s just easierif we are at least nice to each other.


1 comment:

  1. OMG! Wow... people really are rude!

    I agree that it is odd when people are rude. I ride b/c i love it and it's fun not to have you make me feel like crap!

    Those girls suck and that teacher is lame.. glad you still ride! :)

    ReplyDelete