Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 22- The importance of riding in your life

Day 22- The importance of riding in your life
I love riding. There is just something to be said about saddling up and heading out for a nice quite ride with just you and your horse. I loved that with Piney. I could ride out with my dogs following behind…or in one case my barn cats. Since Piney died I really haven’t had much desire to ride. I usually have to be pressured into saddling up. The weather we’ve had this fall/winter hasn’t really helped either. I have a great horse that is broke and trustworthy that I loved riding when Piney was alive but I don’t know why I don’t feel the same now. The last couple days though, I have wanted to saddle up and go for a quick ride around the yard, but it’s so freaking cold it wouldn’t be fair to Pistol. He is blanketed and I don’t want to strip him down.

I think more than anything that horse ownership is more important to me than actually riding. I enjoy just going out to the barn and interacting with my horses. Looking out my window and seeing them makes me happy. The fact that when I open my front door I have at least one horse calling out to me. Obviously it is ol’ tubby trying to tell me to come and feed him but I still like that feeling. Last night when I went out to feed the boys I heard the quietest little nicker from Pistol and I just melted. He has never done that before. It melted my heart. He’s really come a long way since he’s been with us. From a horse that we couldn’t even touch to my sweet little buddy.

If something happened to me and I couldn’t ever ride again. I would be fine as long as I had my horses. Being around them. Their smell, the feel of their noses, the sound of their hooves as they thunder across the pasture. I just love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment