Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 10- How your family/friends feel about your riding

Day 10- How your family/friends feel about your riding

I didn’t come from a horsey family. My mom did some riding when she was a camp counselor and my dad had a very naughty pony when he was a little boy, upon hearing his stories of that naughty beast I can understand why he never rode again. They always did what they could to get me some time in the saddle. I guess when I was really little I was freaking out because there were some big draft horses in a pen by the side of the road, so my mom pulled over so I could go and pet them. If there was a dude ranch nearby they would let me go on a trail ride. But living in my small northern Manitoba town, there was just nowhere where I could take lessons. I could take dog sled lessons no problem, but horses were far and few in between.

I think that they always kind of thought that I would grow out of my horsey stage. When I had Yellow I think they thought of him as a financial burden on me and more than once suggested that I sell him. It wasn’t until he died, and they saw the impact it had on me that they saw how important horses were to me. I noticed that I am more regularly getting horse gifts from my mom. This year we got a few couple cute signs for me to hang in the barn, last year I got a headstall, and the year before I got a winter blanket for Piney.

My husband is a horse person, and came from horse people. His mother’s family bred and showed Arabians and they always had horses and ponies. So he’d always had a horse to ride and drive. He likes riding and when I met him, he had a horse. That was a big selling point for me ;-) We enjoy going on rides together, and playing with the horses.

I don’t really have many horsey friends outside of the blogger world. I think that a lot of my friends viewed horses as a burden on me as well. When I was working at the barn I always had to skip out of dinners and often movies because I had to go feed the horses. But they understood that horses were a big part of me. I did have a few riding buddies along the way, but they moved away or we drifted apart. It’s just a part of life and growing up.

6 comments:

  1. I am in similar shoes,while my husband isn't a 'horse' person he loves them, just doesn't 'really' ride...but the support is enough :) I don't have ONE close friend that rides or is into horses, all their little girls want to though, lol. It would be amazing to have a bff and one that rode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one bff that was horse obsessed like me. Horses was what brought us together, but ultamitely, it was what tore us apart. She was my pusher that got me to go beyond my comfort zone in the saddle. While I hated it at the time I am grateful for her pushing me now. We still talk from time to time but our friendship isn't what it was. I do miss it, our lives revolved around horses and the barn!

      Delete
  2. I am very fortunate that where I board, I have quite a few new horsey friends that I can coordinate riding with. I really enjoy the social aspect of riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too do miss the social aspect of riding. I loved taking lessons with the girls. My last barn was like a little family and we all took care of each other. the motto was "it takes a villiage" and it was true!

      Delete
  3. Hey this is a great post as it touches something that so many of us have experienced. My parents weren't horsey ...in fact my mum hated them when we were younger. My sister and I think that is the reason why we have stayed so horse mad ....as kids it was all hard work and we went without for so long with regard to riding experiences and gear. Then for many years I was one of just a few riders in my local area. Now it is nicer as I have good friends who all ride locally and I'm in control of where my money is spent (horses!!!!!). My one thing though is my horses go barefoot so I can have new shoes often. I love shoes and cant shoe me and the horse. Luckily my horses all have fantastic feet. Am super glad your blogger friends are there for you. We enjoy reading about your horse time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a shoe person too! I was so sad when Piney had shoes for a little while because it cut into MY shoe fund :-)

      Delete