Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 26- Biggest riding pet peeve

Day 26- Biggest riding pet peeve


Horse snobs. I hate them. They bug the crap out of me. I try to be nice to everyone all the time. Especially when it comes to horses. If we are riding out someplace around non mounted people and someone comes up and asks to pet my horse I gladly let them! I’ve been that little kid who so desperately wanted to pet a horse I’d go to any length to do so. I’ve seen people get snippy and say “no, you can’t” when asked, for no apparent reason. I especially hate snobbery at horse shows. Yes I understand that everyone is competing against each other but help one another out! If you notice something looks wrong point it out and help them out!

People that are snobs against certain breeds bug me. Like the girls at the tack shop I was at up in Winnipeg. They asked what kind of horse I had and when I said a Thoroughbred they rolled their eyes and said “oh one of THOSE horses”. I wanted to lash out but calmly said “yeah he’s actually the best horse I’ve ever ridden. No Warmblood I’ve ridden can compare to him.” I hate when people lump one bad experience with a breed to all horses of that breed. Same goes for dog breeds. People who hate pit bulls because they have a bad rap sheet. If you look back in history you will see that Pit bulls were actually great family dogs that were often called “nanny dogs.” It’s these clueless morons that own them that make them get such a bad rep.

I hate when other horse people look down their noses at other horse people for no reason what so ever. Just because my OTTB didn't come from ZipsDocPocoImpressiveGuy or whatever stud is in fashion this season, and I didn't pay 6 figures for him doesn't mean he isn't a great horse. I may not look like a disco ball when I'm riding around the arena either that doesn't mean I'm any less of a rider than you are. We should realize that we are kindred spirts and we all have the same passion. Horses.

2 comments:

  1. Here Here! I agree. To this day, when someone is rude to me for no apparent reason, it always confuses me. How awful it must be to be "grouchy" all the time. It is so much easier to be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to give you another "Heck Yeah!"...one of my first memories as a kid is going to a polo match and petting the ponies-I can't imagine someone saying no to a kid (or anyone) unless their horse really is unpredictable. And of course, I thing OTTBs are way cooler than any DocSkippoSaint whatever you've got...if s/he's from the track, you've got my admiration:)

    ReplyDelete