Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 18- Your grooming routine

Day 18- Your grooming routine


My spring/summer grooming routine goes a little like this:

Walk into tack room gather my grooming kit and then set it near area where I plan on grooming. Hold breath as I walk up to the Coneman and hope he hasn’t rolled in any mud. Silently cheer when I see he hasn’t rolled in mud. Not so silently swear when I see the half of his body that was turned away from me is COVERED in mud. Halter Coneman up and bring him over to my brushes. Toss lead rope over his back and thank the heavens he came with the ground tying feature installed. Dig through grooming box and find a heavy duty curry comb and start grooming the muddy side. After about 20 minutes wonder why on earth there is still mud on this monster. Continue currying my brains out. CAREFULLY work on his legs. (I’ve felt the power of one of his hind legs and I don’t want to feel it again.) About 17 hours of currying have passed and he is starting to look presentable. Toss the curry into box and grab a dandy brush and start flicking off the layer dust that has settled on his body. Toss that brush into the box and grab some cowboy magic detangler and work that into his mane and tail. Brush like crazy until his mane and tail feel like silk. Wipe my hands on his neck to get all the excess goop off my hands. Run a face brush down his face and then kiss his nose. Become a scratching post for a few minutes while he gets all those extra itchies off his face. Look at my sparkling clean horse, smile and then put him away for the night because I’m too exhausted to ride. Repeat the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment