Friday, May 6, 2011

30 Day Challenge Equestrian Edition

I've seen a lot of people doing these and I always thought they looked fun. so I thought I'd give it a shot!
I had to change a few as I don't have any videos of me riding!

30 Day Challenge Equestrian Edition


Day 01- When and why you started riding
Day 02- The last time you rode a horse and what you did

Day 03- A video of your best riding  Your best riding ever
Day 04- A ride that impacted your life
Day 05- Your first fall
Day 06- All the tack and riding clothes you have (brand/color/other details)
Day 07- Your favorite ribbon won at a show and why
Day 08- A little about the barn/stable you ride at
Day 09- Any injuries that occurred from riding
Day 10- How your family/friends feel about your riding
Day 11- Find a horse for sale online that you would want to buy
Day 12- Favorite horse color
Day 13- A video of your worst riding Your worst riding ever
Day 14- Your dream barn/farm
Day 15- If you could speak to any horse, dead or alive, what would you say?
Day 16- Your most recent fall
Day 17- Your equestrian idol
Day 18- Your grooming routine
Day 19- A discipline you would like to do that you’ve never done before
Day 20- Your favorite horse show
Day 21- Your perfect schooling outfit
Day 22- The importance of riding in your life
Day 23- Critique a famous/well known equestrian’s jumping round of your choosing
Day 24- Your best riding friend
Day 25- Your dream trailer
Day 26- Biggest riding pet peeve
Day 27- You know your an equestrian when….. (Give 5 original ones)
Day 28- Helmet or no helmet?
Day 29- A style/trend in tack/riding appearal that you don’t like
Day 30- Your Future With Horses


Day 01- When and why you started riding


I’d like to say that I was born in the saddle and grew up around horses, but sadly that isn’t true. I grew up in a small northern, Manitoba town. When I say northern Manitoba most people don’t quite get how far north I’m from. I’m from 600Km NORTH of Winnipeg. That’s 6 hours in the car, on a single lane highway seeing nothing but trees and an occasional wild animal. The town I’m from is the furthest northern farming community in Manitoba. But people just don’t have a lot of horses up there. I think I knew of one girl who had a horse. But I never actually saw her horse.


My first horse
 Summers we spent at our lake home in Minnesota. There were a few dude ranches nearby and I’d beg every single summer to go. And I got my wish at least once, twice if I was lucky, each summer. I’ll never forget the first time I rode a horse. Her name was Misty, and she was a little solid bay mare. I thought she was the most beautiful horse I’d ever seen, and one day I was going to have a horse just like her! They put me up in the saddle and I was on cloud nine! Finally on a real horse! They told me how to steer and how to make her move. But nothing really worked, She wouldn’t budge, so they hooked me up to a lead rope and ponied me alongside the leader. I thought I was super cool because I was up front. The ride was an hour long but it seemed to go so quickly. I spent the rest of the summer playing with and riding my invisible horse “misty”.

"Cowboy" The second real horse I've ever ridden
The photo of me on the bay hrose was taken the same autumn as my first ride. The stable wasn’t giving trail rides that day but I had my mom ask if they could saddle me up a horse to sit on. They agreed and again I was in heaven up there! I knew I had to have a horse of my own one day!

Every summer I went on one or two rides a year. Until I moved to Sweden for my year as an Exchange student. I FINALLY found a city with real actual horse riding lessons! I was 18 when I started taking lessons and since then I’ve been taking them on and off for about 11 (ugh where has the time gone!!) years.

When we were kids all the girls I knew loved horses. But they all grew out of it. I never did. Some days I wish I would have. I’d have a heck of a lot more money that’s for sure!! I often joked when cleaning stalls or doing horse chores that maybe if I’d had to do those things when I was younger I probably wouldn’t still be a horse addict! Being a horse obsessed person it just something that I am! I've said it a few times that I want out of horses. But I keep coming back it them. It's just something that I need to keep me alive. My childhood obsession turned into a hobby that I hope to continue many more years of my life.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I have to suffer through -30C where I am in Ontario, but Winnipeg is COLD! And, you lived north of Winnipeg?! Yikes!! :-) Cute pictures. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete