Saturday, August 31, 2013

Always on a Friday after 5.

I got home yesterday and went to check on the ponies. Pistol was being super snugly which was kind of strange. I am glad he was snugly because I noticed his breathing was weird. He kept putting his nose right by my ears. I noticed that his nostrils were flared and he was taking rapid short breaths. First I thought he was choking. I tried giving them all dry beet pulp before and he got a little choke-y so I never did it again. I've been a freak about making sure his beet pulp is soaking wet. 
I called the vet that was obviously closed because it was after hours and they had the number of the emergency vet on call. I called up left a message and waited. Ok the meantime I was busy on my iPhone googling all types of things as I waited for my call back. Then a lightbulb went off...he sounded heave-y...quick google search and discussion with the vet when he called and we were headed to the clinic to pick up our prescription for Pistol. 
Be have banamine to administer orally and tri hist granules to mix in his feed. The fun thing...pistol gets SUPER headshy when it comes to anything going in his mouth. Yay. I have been tricking him to get it in his mouth. But seriously it hasn't been fun. I am hoping that he gets this under control and we can manage it.this horse is seriously worth his weight in gold. I hate seeing him all wheezy.
George isn't limping around anymore...but he has become an ASS! Like a serious ass. He won't let me soak his foot. The thought makes him super cranky. He has even come at me, teeth bared ears pinned. Ever since we have been treating him for ulcers he has just gotten a nasty streak in him. I am thinking he has always been like that which is why he was so famous at his previous barns. He also won't stand it if you try to call him out on his bad behavior. He is like the hulk "you won't like me when I'm angry!" I think I may be calling in some reinforcements to come help us through his attitude...I think I liked him better when he was filled with ulcers! 
And then this happened this morning. Pistol finished his breakfast and then on his own put his foot in the feed pan and continued to stand there for about 10 minutes. I hope George has been takin notes from old Pistol.
In other news doesn't look like I will have a horse ready for the schooling show in 2 weeks....

6 comments:

  1. Sheesh weren't you just saying you didn't have a big enough vet bill!! I think the horses heard you!!

    Hope everyone's feeling better soon and start cooperating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh I hope everyone gets better soon. There is nothing worse than dealing with sick injured animals ....hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always something, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Pistol is saying, "Like this George! Put your foot in!" Hahaha! Hope everyone gets better soon, vet bills stink, but I hate seeing the sick horses the most. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Karley! That's what you get for making jokes about vet bills!

    Hopefully both boys get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Your two ponies are out of control!

    ReplyDelete