Monday, February 10, 2014

stole this...


1. What is your favorite breed/s of horse, and if you could purchase a new horse what breed would it be?

Easy question. Thoroughbred. I’ve ALWAYS loved thoroughbreds, and would drool at pictures of them in my horse books as a child. But I figured that was as close to them as I’d ever get. Fast forward to my early 20’s and the seasons I worked at the local race track first as a patrol judge. (up in a tower on the back stretch video taping the races) watching them gallop their hearts out solidified my love for the breed. Then the next season I worked briefly for a trainer at the track as a groom. It was my first hands on time with my favorite breed… and decided that I would definitely NEVER own one because they were a bit ‘hot’ for me. Fast forward again, late 20’s and I met a little red thoroughbred named Pine Bend who completely changed my mind about the breed and is forever known as my “gateway horse”. He showed me that TB’s are amazing and have the best heart of any horse breed out there. I don’t want to ever be without one again…


2. What is your favorite personal tack item?

hmmm I have a lot of tack I love. So I will try to make this answer as short as I can. My Circle Y trail saddle is the first quality saddle that was ever purchased for me. I’d always ridden in someone else saddle, and this one was one I picked out, and was purchased to fit me. I was a present from my old bosses who thought I needed a ‘real’ saddle and not a silly English saddle anymore. I’ve played with the idea over the years of selling it, but to be honest, I am never going to spend that type of money on a saddle (hopefully) ever again. It also represents a lot of hard work and determination I had. I was working my ass off at that barn so it’s kind of my trophy for that. I also love my Wintec Pro Dressage saddle. Yep, definitely not a super expensive saddle, but it is the most comfortable saddle I own.


 3. Horse products you swear by?

Pyranha Wipe N Spray Fly Spray. The stuff in the yellow bottle. IT is amazing and the only fly spray that offers my monsters any form of relief from the bugs in the summer. You have to use it daily up here, but it works for about 24hours and it’s worth it. Gastrogard is also a product that is amazing. We used it on George get rid of his ulcers and there was a night and day transformation from when we started him on it, and from when we finished. He his condtion improved and he is no longer girthy and doesn’t try to bite me when I tack him up, he tries to bite me at other times, but that’s just because he is an ass…

 4. Rider products or items you swear by?

Like Mare over at Simply Horse Crazy… I swear by my Mountain Horse boots. I’ve been wearing them out and about doing chores, and even to work because they are just that warm and amazing. Acutally I even wore them in the summer…but they get a little warm…


 5. Favorite tack catalogs to shop from?
I hardly ever shop from catalogs or online. I do like to drool over them though. Dover, Smartpak, Schniders, Stateline etc…


 6. Is your home decorated "horsey", as in western or equestrian-themed?
Well we just bought a new house on Friday, and we are hoping to have a bit of a western theme to it. Our current home has a few little western themed things throughout it, like our cowhide rug in the living room, and there are a few paintings of life in the wild west, my kitchen even has a big portrait of a cow… that sounds kind of weird actually going back and reading this…


 7. Do you wear horse, Western, or equestrian-themed jewelry?
I have a bracelet with Piney’s name on it, and a few other little pieces of horse themed jewelry, but I don’t really wear any jewelry all that often.

8. A style of riding you'd like to try sometime?

I’d love to give reining a go. And I’d LOVE to do some cow work on horseback. I was a turn back rider when my friend was getting into cutting, and I even though I didn’t really do a whole lot with the cows it was so much fun.
  
 
 9. Biggest lesson you've learned about horses?
There is no such thing as a free horse. I know this all too well. Getting a horse is the cheapest part about them. I’ve actually only ever had free horses. Well we did buy Pistol, but he is both my husband and I’s horse. But my personal horses have always been free.
Also George is teaching me a new lesson. Everything I think I know about horses is wrong. Seriously this horse is challenging everything I know about horses. I’ve had to bend and break so many of my lifes learnings and manipulated them to work with him. Like seriously you guys need to come meet this horse… it’s a humbling experience to work with him.

 10. Is your significant other a rider too?
Yes he is. In fact that’s why we clicked when we first met. He had a horse and I probably asked him to marry me after he said that.

 11. What horse issues bother you the most?
Where to start…jk. The thing that bothers me the absolute most is these horse ‘rescues’ that take in horses that are 3 hooves in the ground already, bring them back to health and then act as if they are a burden on them. There are a few rescues that I follow on Facebook. They go to auctions and buy the most depressing creature I’ve ever laid my eyes on (AND DON’T GET ME WRONG! I’m so happy they saved that creature!!) Then they get that sad, sick, skinny, old, wild horse home and preach about how great that horse is. Said horse is so sweet, so kind, beautiful etc, and then start asking for donations. “This is the sweetest old gal I’ve ever met! But she needs to gain 600 pounds and needs this rare form of feed from Europe that cost about $800 a bag! Send me your money!!” “This horse is so sweet but her teeth are crooked and she needs braces! And horse braces aren’t cheap! Send me your money!!” “This dear sweet old gal, needs special diamond encrusted horse shoes! They are therapeutic and are handmade, limited edition Gucci signed shoes that our vet said she needs! Send me your money!” So people send money, and I’m so happy that they are helping save this creature. But then the horse gets better. And has put on weight. And is ready to find a new home… but no one wants it. After all, it is an old, wild monster that is barely halter broke, blind in both eyes with bad feet. The horse is offered for a couple hundred bucks and the owner reminds everyone how much money it has cost to bring that horse back to life… but still no one wants it.  So then the owner of the rescue goes on Facebook crying to the world that they are going to shut down their rescue because they can’t afford to run it anymore because they have too many horses, and can’t even give away the horses they have. So as soon as someone FINALLY takes the horses off their hands the rescue page is quiet for about 4 days before they are looking for money to go to ANOTHER auction and save another life. And then guess what? More pictures of the even SADDER looking horse. Give me money!
I think it is great that people are saving horses from slaughter. And the bigger problem we have is people that are carelessly breeding horses and not stepping up to the plate and owing up to the fact that they created this horse that no one will probably want/need in the first place.
we had this big neglect case locally a few weeks ago. 40+ broodmares in foal and a bunch of dead horses super sad situation. It made all the horse people go crazy to get a rescue mission in place. AGAIN that is so awesome that everyone stepped up and wanted to help these horses!! But the owner of the horses sold all of the horses to a horse trainer before the rescue people could swoop in and get them. And the rescue people were PISSED! Umm hi, excuse me but those horses are going to a trainer, who will turn them into productive and useful members of society. Horses that people actually want because they are well trained. The owner of these horse had posted them for sale for months, and months before the case made headlines. No one wanted them then… why now? Because they are rescues… NOTHING AGAINST RESCUSE! Please don’t think I am a heartless monster. I’m not. I’m just so confused with horse people sometimes. If people want to help out, they should bring a trailer to an auction and buy a couple skinnies, give them some love, and groceries, TRAIN them, and then find a good home for them. It will do a whole lot of good for your heart! I personally don’t have the resources or knowledge to break a horse otherwise I would! Hopefully my ranting doesn’t make you think I am some sort of terrible monster…And sorry this is so long…I just have a lot on my mind!!

12. Favorite horse magazines to read, or do you just read blogs/online sites?
I mostly just read blogs…

 13. String along some thoughts that summarize your involvement of horses......
go to barn, put pony hay out, put pony bucket out, get pony, put her out, shout “I love you horses” to big horses, to go work and worry about horses/pony all day, get home check on big horses, get pony bucket, get pony hay, get pony and put them in the barn….
Winter totally sucks for horse keeping ….

 14. Do you ever look on Craigslist or Dreamhorse or Horseclicks.com for horses or tack? For fun or real?
I look on Craigslist all the time. But it’s just for fun. Our horses came from auctions or friends. Never really done any real horse shopping other than an auction.

1 comment:

  1. Thoroughbreds are my favorite! There are some good adoption centers/rescues, though, such as LOPE, that takes Thoroughbred horses from off the track and retrains them. I like how they focus on giving the horses new careers, rather than simply rescuing them.

    ReplyDelete