Monday, June 9, 2014

Unscheduled vet visit


Because of course he would "c-word". Golden boy was dripping in sweat and laying down when I got home tonight. And then when I got him up he was nipping his sides and pawing the ground. I walked him for quite awhile until my husband got home and we decided to haul him to the vet. 
By the time we got him to the vet, he had cooled down, his temp was normal, his pulse was normal, his guts sounded good and he was calm. AND he had pooped in the trailer. Everything seemed pretty normal but we decided to do a rectal exam on him. Everything seemed normal, except his colon was not in the right spot. It was on the other side of where it should normally be. 
Next we tubed him, and then got some oil into him. He seemed alert and was quite responsive to everything going on around him. We put him in the round pen and he was very curious about the adorable orphan foal next to it. We opted to take him home. Because he seemed to be feeling better. But I will be keeping a close eye on him throughout the night. 
I am beginning to feel like the worlds worst horse owner. I try to do everything right and my horses still colic. 
Might be time to trade them all in and get stick horses...

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, but with horses, stuff happens. Hope he continues to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colic happens, has nothing to do with you! You are doing what you can to take care of him and that is what matters!
    Hope he feels better and is back to normal in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colic happens to everyone and it's inevitable - you are most certainly not the worlds worst horse owner! I hope he continues to get better!

    ReplyDelete